Wage $30-$45/Hour DOE
The Mechanic is responsible for performing repair and maintenance work on Bartelson Trucking tractors, trailers and other equipment. Keeps equipment available for use by inspecting and testing vehicles; completing preventive maintenance such as, engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation and changes, wheel balancing, replacing filters. The Mechanic conducts diagnostic evaluations identifying appropriate repair work and necessary parts, completes work orders detailing repair work completed and inspects completed work. This position is responsible to ensure that all repairs and required maintenance/inspection work is completed in compliance with safety and quality standards and in accordance with DOT requirements. The Mechanic will cooperate with the company safety policies and procedures by maintaining a clean, organized and hazard free work environment, ensuring equipment and tools are in safe operating condition, and repair and maintenance work is completed in accordance to DOT regulations and protocols. Additionally this position will be responsible to ensure proper documentation on completed work orders is completed, prepare work orders when necessary, and maintain accurate records and files on all repair and maintenance work.
Job Description Summary
Shift – M-F 6:30-2:00pm or 10am-7:30pm
Wage $30-$45/Hour DOE
A. Perform minor and major repairs on trucks, vehicles, trailers, and equipment ensuring timely completion of work orders as assigned by Shop Manager.
B. Assist Shop Manager in diagnosing repairs and identifying required parts needed for the repair work.
C. Prior to work commencing, conduct an initial inspection and diagnostic of requested repair work identifying and recommending the appropriate and most cost effective course of action. Provide estimates on time and material cost to perform repair work.
D. While working on tractors, regularly inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition
E. Maintains vehicle functional condition by listening to operator complaints; conducting inspections; repairing engine failures; repairing mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions; replacing parts and components; repairing body damage.
F. Verifies vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
G. Conduct final inspection on completed work prior to closing out work orders.
H. Practice standard maintenance and repair methods, procedures, and techniques ensuring compliance with DOT and safety requirements and standards.
I. Maintain accurate and complete records of time, materials, and labor ensuring proper documentation is completed on all work orders.
J. Support a safe work environment by keeping a clean work area, regularly examine tools and equipment for safe operation in order to prevent, detect, and correct unsafe conditions or violations of procedures and safety rules.
K. Ensure shop and repair/maintenance work adherences to and is in compliance with company and DOT policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
L. Respond when necessary to on-the-road breakdowns 24/7 coordinating the appropriate actions with Shop Manager for on-sight repair.
M. Comply with the parts purchase order and inventory management system in accordance with operating procedures.
N. Trouble-shoot driver inquiries and issues coordinating and recommending appropriate resolution with Shop Manager.
O. Work closely with the Shop Manager in supporting operating budget management activities providing required information on repair/maintenance costs, labor hours per repair, and purchases.
P. Promote a supportive work environment by practicing clear communication, collaboration and teamwork.
Q. Other duties as assigned
High School education required.
Prior Related Experience:
A minimum of five years diesel mechanical experience in the trucking and transportation industry vehicle repair and maintenance. Experience with Department of Transportation requirements and regulations including safety/health, vehicle maintenance and inspection protocols.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated proficiency in the repair and diagnosis of tractors and trailers
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with both gas and diesel engines
· Must have thorough knowledge and experience with but not limited to: hydraulic systems, gas engines, diesel engines, electrical systems, drive trains and various hand tools
· Experience with power train to include differentials, transmissions, clutches, drive shafts, wheel ends, electrical systems including starters and alternators, HVAC systems, steering systems, electronics to include ECM's, ECU's, sensors
· Repair and maintenance of generator power units (3&4 cylinder)
· Engine bolt on items such as turbos, fan clutches, injectors, cooling system
· Brake systems including ABS and suspension systems (spring and air)
· Must be knowledgeable in all D.O.T. Truck Safety and Maintenance Regulations
· Ability to diagnose mechanical problems and perform repairs independently
· Ability to operate equipment and tools involved in vehicle repair and maintenance
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, manages time effectively
· Ability to effectively plan, organize and complete tasks on time
· Practical, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
· Ability to work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions.
· Demonstrates awareness of all health and safety protocols
· Strong written and verbal communication skills ability to communicate promptly and professionally with coworkers, customers and vendors
· Is capable of translating industry knowledge into straightforward terms for explanatory purposes
Ability to lift heavy equipment and vehicle parts. Moderate walking, standing, heavy lifting, carrying, kneeling, bending and reaching. Works outside and inside around moving vehicles and machinery. Exposure to dampness, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, diesel fuel and gasoline.
This is an excellent position to begin your career path within Lineage! Success in this role enables greater responsibilities and promotions! A career at Lineage starts with learning about our business and how each team member plays a part each and every day to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Beyond that, you’ll help us grow and learn on our journey to be the very best employer in our industry. We’ll ask you for your opinion and ensure we do our part to keep you developing and engaged as we grow our business. Working at Lineage is energizing and enjoyable. We value respect and care about our team members.
Lineage is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful harassment and retaliation. Lineage will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability or any other protected status under federal, state and local law.
Lineage provides safe, stable, reliable work environments, medical, dental, and basic life and disability insurance benefits, 401 retirement plan, paid time off, annual bonus eligibility, and a minimum of 7 holidays throughout the calendar year.