Manager, Facility Maintenance I/ Chief Operating Engineer
Employment Type: Permanent/Full-time
Facility: “Walker” Facility – Brampton, Ontario
The Facility Maintenance Manager is responsible for managing a team of Operating Engineers and promoting the safe, efficient and compliant operation of the facility. This individual will be a pro-active leader who is comfortable leading change and can effectively engage with the engineering team, cross functional departments and customers. The Facility Maintenance Manager will act as a strategic partner, providing input to business unit leadership teams and aligning site goals with business unit objectives.
- Leads and promotes a culture where Health and Safety is the #1 priority. Provides leadership and support for Health & Safety initiatives within the department.
- Promotes and ensures compliance with the Operating Engineers Regulation, Technical Standards and Safety Act and all codes and regulations referred to within this Act, Health & Safety policies and procedures within the engineering department, all HACCP requirements within the Engineering Department;
- Provides overall direction, support, coaching and leadership to the team to achieve prescribed objectives and align department and individual efforts to the vision, mission, strategy and culture.
- Manages home facility while collaborating with regional management/engineering departments to implement regional standards, policies and procedures related to the efficient, safe, compliant operation of the company’s refrigerated facilities in the region;
- Monitors, measures, coaches and develops direct reports, ensures adherence to policies and procedures, provides recognition, evaluates and provides feedback on performance, addresses performance concerns and resolves problems.
- Plays a key role in the scoping, planning and execution of capital projects for the region;
- Responsible for local budgeting process to capture capital and operations expenses, and deliver on budget performance.
- Responsible for overseeing the safe operation and maintenance of the region’s refrigeration facilities, warehouse buildings, racking, and material handling equipment in a manner that minimizes disruption to client product handling, promotes employee safety, and assures minimum operating costs;
- Drives continuous improvement efforts and identifies cost saving and growth initiatives.
- Implements, supports and maintains energy efficiency programs to improve operations and energy efficiency at the facilities;
- Monitors, adjusts, and tracks all equipment and systems to help reduce energy / utility costs and actively promote energy efficiency at each facility;
- Directs and supervises the facilities’ operating engineers, contractors, and technicians to meet prescribed objectives and applies proper communication and motivational techniques to ensure employee satisfaction and participation;
- Ensures temperature requirements of the company’s customer client base are met, and monitors, logs, and ensures that daily inspections of refrigeration, building, racking and lift truck equipment are carried out by engineering staff at each facility;
- Ensures that each facility monitors and maintains an effective preventative maintenance program for refrigeration, building, racking, and material handling systems;
- Supports sales, warehousing and transportation departments with customer support issues and quoting new work.
- Partners with Human Resources to maintain strong union relations.
- Champions company-wide programs for increasing employee engagement, communications and people development.
- Operates within and promotes compliance with the Code of Business Conduct, company policies and procedures, and all statues and legislation governing the workplace.
- Participates in other initiatives, projects and duties as assigned.
- 7 - 10 years’ experience in a refrigerated warehouse environment with strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience with ammonia refrigeration systems is essential for this position.
- Must hold a valid Class A Refrigeration Certificate or Second Class Power Engineer certification.
- Commitment to health and safety in the workplace.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Driven to provide exceptional customer service.
- Embraces change and has a continuous improvement philosophy.
- In depth knowledge of provincial regulations regarding operating engineering and refrigeration, elevating devices, building and fire code, local bylaws, environmental, labour, and health and safety legislation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working effectively in a unionized environment governed by collective agreements is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills including leadership, conflict resolution, influencing and team building abilities.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to quickly understand and identify issues and implement solutions.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude with a hands-on and team -oriented work style.
- Ability to effectively communicate vision, technical and business objectives, and updates to team.
- Ability to translate strategic initiatives into executable plans.
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
- Availability to provide support to shift engineers for after-hours issues as needed.
This is an excellent position to begin your career path within Lineage! Success in this role enables greater responsibilities and promotions! A career at Lineage starts with learning about our business and how each team member plays a part each and every day to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Beyond that, you’ll help us grow and learn on our journey to be the very best employer in our industry. We’ll ask you for your opinion and ensure we do our part to keep you developing and engaged as we grow our business. Working at Lineage is energizing and enjoyable. We value respect and care about our team members.
Lineage is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to compliance with all local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful harassment and retaliation. Lineage will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability or any other protected status. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Lineage provides safe, stable, reliable work environments, medical, dental, and basic life and disability insurance benefits, RRSP matching and paid time off.