Senior Data Engineer
Perishable Shipping Solutions
The Data Engineer will focus on the following:
1. Data Ingestion - moving source system data to central data assets
2. Data Modeling - determining field-level data usage
3. Data Wrangling - identifying queries/algorithms to efficiently transform data from source system formats to a unified RDBMS schema
4. Data Quality - ensuring complete and uninterrupted data mappings from source to central data assets
A Senior Data Engineer is accountable for the design and implementation of Lineage’s data assets. Specifically, this includes being responsible for developing normalized, dimensional, and hybrid data models to support reporting, analytics, and APIs used by other internal and external applications. The Data Engineer will focus on the following:
Data Ingestion - moving source system data to central data assets Data Modeling - determining field-level data usage Data Wrangling - identifying queries/algorithms to efficiently transform data from source system formats to a unified RDBMS schema Data Quality - ensuring complete and uninterrupted data mappings from source to central data assets
At Lineage, we leverage cloud services, best-of-breed technologies, and external teams to augment our capabilities with sufficient capacity. This means that in addition to being a great technologist and individual contributor, you need to be able to review and collaborate with partners to ensure that we get the same quality from them too.
As a company, Lineage Logistics leverages state-of-the-art technology to meet our customers’ needs, assist in our international growth, and create an infrastructure that enables Lineage to lead the industry.
As the ideal candidate for this position, you will exhibit the technical expertise, business acumen and flexibility required to successfully work with all levels of Lineage’s organization.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform detailed data analysis and translate business requirements into logical and physical data models
- Lead complex technical data discussions on modeling, integration, and overall technology solutions and design
- Possess the ability to a create robust, scalable, and sustainable data architecture that supports requirements and provides for future expansion
- Integrate additional data sets into the Operational Data Store to support organizational needs
- Re-engineer existing physical data structures and recommend efficiencies as it relates to data storage and retrieval
- Automate, monitor, and support data mappings, and re-design if required to make them faster and/or more reliable
- Design and implement system components which reconcile and audit the results of the extract/transform or conversion of data from source systems to the target structures
- Manage and provide guidance to employee and contract resources
- Work closely with others to help ensure the physical design meets the functional and performance requirements of the applications utilizing the data
- Collaborate with report and API developers on data mapping and report / application design
- Possess prior experience in designing and building data ingestion and storage solutions
- Exhibit knowledge related to full life cycle experience in Data Modeling, Data Integration, and Master Data Management
- Architect and implement data structures for reporting solutions
- Mastery of SQL with ability to perform analytical queries as well as updates to data sets
- Grow and maintain a broad and deep knowledge of data technologies and techniques
- Possess a willingness to be coached and proactively seek feedback
- Handle multiple assignments/projects simultaneously
- Properly set priority and order for work
- Work in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Ask for help and provide it to others
- Understand your skills and your talents and apply them appropriately
- Learn and apply new technologies and business concepts
- Maintain personal accountability for getting things done on time and with quality results
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to explain technical concepts to business leaders
- Be willing and able to travel on occasion (<1 week per month)
Education and/or Experience:
- 10+ years - Data Engineering / Modeling experience; delivering both logical models and physical designs with experience translating business needs into data requirements
- A degree in Computer Science, a related discipline, or equivalent work experience of 6+ years overall IT or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired
- Experience with cloud-based data platforms
- Experience with a mix of relational database technologies like Microsoft SQL-Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.
- Previous Supply Chain or Logistics industry experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with data from the following technologies is a plus: ERP, WMS, TMS, CRM, HRIS
- Prior software development experience is also preferred
This is an excellent position to begin your career path within Lineage! Success in this role enables greater responsibilities and promotions! A career at Lineage starts with learning about our business and how each team member plays a part each and every day to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Beyond that, you’ll help us grow and learn on our journey to be the very best employer in our industry. We’ll ask you for your opinion and ensure we do our part to keep you developing and engaged as we grow our business. Working at Lineage is energizing and enjoyable. We value respect and care about our team members.
Lineage is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful harassment and retaliation. Lineage will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability or any other protected status under federal, state and local law.
Lineage provides safe, stable, reliable work environments, competitive pay, excellent Health and Dental benefits, 401K, and Paid Time Off and Sick Days