Perishable Shipping Solutions
Employment Type: Permanent
Reports to: Manager, Transportation Solutions
Shift: Monday to Friday: 9am-5:30pm
The Dispatch Planner is responsible for the timely planning and execution of daily pick-ups and deliveries for the Terminal by coordinating the scheduling and routing of trips to meet service, cost, and timeliness objectives. The Dispatch Planner works closely with the Dispatcher and Terminal Operations team to ensure all trips are coordinated, appointments are secured, resources are optimized, and customer requirements are met and/or exceeded. The Dispatch Planner communicates with customer service and transport partners to plan, track, and manage orders to achieve and maintain high service levels.
Safety & Compliance
- Promotes a culture where Health & Safety is the #1 priority.
- Operates within the Code of Business Conduct, company policies and procedures, and all statutes and legislation governing the workplace.
- Works with Dispatcher to ensure Driver hours are not exceeded.
- Understands and adheres to all Transportation Safety policies and guidelines.
- Ensures compliance with prescribed Health & Safety programs and Cold Chain Assurance programs, as directed by terminal management team and regional Health & Safety and Cold Chain Assurance leads.
- Collaborates effectively with all team members in Transportation and Warehousing to achieve daily objectives.
- Provides the highest levels of service to all customers with whom they interact, whether internal or external, with the goal of continuously improving the customer experience.
- Works with the Supervisor, Terminal Operations and leadership team to implement Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) related to daily customer service objectives.
- In collaboration with the Supervisor, Terminal Operations, communicates with existing customers to understand and prioritize their needs, participating in calls and meetings as appropriate.
- Researches, develops and recommends solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Implements improved operational processes that enhance capabilities to meet/exceed service standards.
- Ensures adherence and accountability to QMS and standard operating procedures.
- Manages inbound shipment ETA’s to maximize planning efficiency and ensure customer needs are met.
- Collaborates with the operations team and transportation partners to determine equipment requirements and schedules.
- Develops efficient routing patterns to meet required schedules.
- Ensures all documentation relating to the movement of orders or shipments in or out of the facility is completed accurately and on time.
- Coordinates with dispatcher and transportation partners involved in the daily pick-up and delivery of freight.
- Ensures pick-up and delivery appointments are secured within a timely manner to meet customer’s requested delivery dates.
- Ensures regular communication with dispatcher, customer service, and transportation partners to plan, track, and manage orders.
- Ensures the collection, audit, tracking and filing of internal paperwork from Drivers (PODs, fuel slips, and maintenance records).
- Consistently utilizes the Transportation Management System (TMS) to monitor/manage shipments, identify issues and develop solutions.
- Prepare and provide reports to Supervisor, Terminal Operations, showing all on time and late departures.
- Recommends continuous improvement efforts and identifies cost saving and growth initiatives.
- Answers inbound phone calls relating to linehaul delays and driver/carrier check-ins.
- Provides vacation and sick coverage for dispatch and operations support functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned in accordance with the company vision, mission, strategy and culture.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a planning, dispatch or logistics coordinator role working in a transportation/ logistics environment.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain & logistics, or related field an asset.
- Working knowledge of transportation software systems (Truckmate) an asset.
- Experience working with company drivers, owner operators and third-party carriers.
- Scheduling or customer service experience.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure which involves dealing with constraints which are often outside of your control.
- Ability to work on one task while managing and keeping track of several others simultaneously.
- Excellent customer service abilities with a natural desire to provide exceptional service and build strong relationships with internal departments, drivers, and transportation partners.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced transportation environment to ensure accuracy, compliance, and a team culture of excellence.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to quickly understand and identify issues and propose solutions.
- Experience with data analysis.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize workflow to ensure deadlines are met in a fast-paced environment. Able to adapt to shifting priorities.
- Analytical; logical thinker with ability to think two steps ahead and successfully analyze different pieces of information and put them together like a puzzle.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Dedicated to continuous improvement and ability to identify opportunities to increase efficiency and enhance results. Ability to manage and adapt to change.
- Approachable, positive demeanor with a hands-on and team-oriented work style.
- Commitment to health and safety in the workplace.
- Takes initiative, is proactive in their work, and results oriented.
- Showing proficiency in Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience working effectively in a unionized environment governed by collective agreements is an asset
- Working knowledge of labor management, transportation, financial and other key technologies.
This is an excellent position to begin your career path within Lineage! Success in this role enables greater responsibilities and promotions! A career at Lineage starts with learning about our business and how each team member plays a part each and every day to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Beyond that, you’ll help us grow and learn on our journey to be the very best employer in our industry. We’ll ask you for your opinion and ensure we do our part to keep you developing and engaged as we grow our business. Working at Lineage is energizing and enjoyable. We value respect and care about our team members.
Lineage is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to compliance with all local laws that prohibit workplace discrimination and unlawful harassment and retaliation. Lineage will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability or any other protected status. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Lineage provides safe, stable, reliable work environments, medical, dental, and basic life and disability insurance benefits, RRSP matching and paid time off.