Geospatial Data Engineer (remote, based in LATAM)
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
AboutRevalue exists to deliver a fundamental step-change in integrity at scale. We are rethinking carbon projects from the ground up. We believe this fundamental step-change in the quality of carbon projects is required to build confidence in the market. 'Slightly better' is not good enough. Confidence is required for the carbon market to go from a pond to an ocean. An ocean of demand is required for impact at a planetary scale. Our world cannot afford anything less than impact on the planetary scale. This drives us every day.Revalue Nature has raised $10 million in Series A funding to rethink carbon project development from the ground up! This new investment was co-led by Ecosystem Integrity Fund (EIF) and SJF Ventures, two leading venture firms focused on climate and impact. Join us on our journey to supercharge the world's leading nature-based developers, reset the bar for quality in the carbon market, and protect and regenerate nature at a scale that makes our eyes water. What We DoRevalue supercharges the world's leading nature-based developers. We enable them to go from the initial rapid assessment to first credit issuance, and beyond. All are supported by our climate tech, which creates a step-change in accuracy, speed, automation, and level of insights during the project assessment and development process. Our teamOur team has an exceptional track record of designing and delivering high-impact carbon projects. We have built long-term partnerships and are working in iconic landscapes with leading players in the nature conservation and restoration space.We offer great opportunities for our talent and we want this to be a place that allows you to do the best work of your life, while also focusing on balance outside of work. The Geospatial Data Engineer is responsible to our Chief Data Scientist. This role is based in Latin America and ideally from one of the following countries: Brazil, Chile, Peru, Ecuador or Colombia. Tasks What are the main responsibilities of the role? The Role Will Include But Not Be Limited To
- Data Integration: Integrating and consolidating geospatial data from various sources, including field observation and surveys, drone, airborne and/or satellite imagery (optical, Radar, Lidar), and various remote sensing outcomes/indexes, and other auxiliary data providers.
- Data Processing: developing and implementing algorithms and workflows to process and analyse geospatial data for visualization and mapping, potential project assessment, spatial analytics, monitoring, and project design.
- Spatial Modelling: Developing and implementing spatial models, workflows, and applications to simulate real-world scenarios and conduct statistical analysis, including data preparation (data cleaning, data transformation), descriptive analysis/exploratory data analysis, and modelling using machine-learning algorithms, linear models, regression models and alike.
- Spatial Data Quality Assurance: Ensuring the accuracy, consistency, and reliability of spatial data by performing quality checks, assessments, and validations. Proposing statistically viable and resource-efficient assessment methods at scale. ring.
- Spatial Data Quality Assurance: Ensuring the accuracy, consistency, and reliability of spatial data by performing quality checks, assessments, and validations. Proposing statistically viable and resource efficient assessment methods at scale.
- Performance Optimization: Identifying and implementing strategies to enhance the performance of spatial data processing, retrieval, and modelling.
- Documentation: Maintaining clear and detailed documentation of sources, scripts and processes, workflows, and data structures.
- Collaboration: Collaborating with data scientists and GIS analysts, software engineers, project and portfolio teams and technical experts to understand requirements and develop appropriate solutions.
- API Development and Database management: Creating and maintaining APIs for spatial data access and integration with other systems, ensuring robust data architecture and management.
- Database Design: Designing and optimizing spatial databases to store and manage geospatial data efficiently and securely.
- Stay Updated: Keeping abreast of the latest advancements and trends in spatial data technologies and incorporating relevant innovations into projects.
- A love of nature; a strong affinity with conservation and restoration of natural systems
- Mission, values and impact-driven
- Strong understanding of geospatial concepts, principles, and applications, such as spatial indexing, spatial data formats (vector and raster) and transformation, resampling and spatial statistics and spatial analysis techniques
- Familiarity with geospatial libraries and tools (e.g., GDAL, PostGIS, GoogleEarthEngine, QGIS, ArcGIS)
- Experience interpreting qualitatively and statistical imagery, time series, complex spatial analysis, data modelling and landscape scenario analysis
- Experience in remote sensing data analysis, particularly in land cover change detection and classification using radar, optical sensors, Lidar, and high-resolution imagery
- Strong understanding of statistical methods for spatial extrapolation, scenarios projections, modelling, and assessment
- Knowledge of data management and cloud computing. familiarity with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and cloud-based geospatial services (e.g., Amazon S3, Google BigQuery GIS)
- An understanding of the voluntary carbon market (REDD+, ARR, ART Trees etc) is desirable
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, or Keras is a plus
- Ability to conduct experiment/mini-research project autonomously: setting objectives, hypothesis, testing protocols, results and critical review
- Based in Latin America and have the legal right to work in the country of your residence.
- Evidence that you can work in remote teams, are self-driven with a willingness to take initiative and are committed to continuous improvement and consistent high performance within a complex and fast-growing sector
- Resilience, and the ability to make difficult things happen
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and detail orientation
- Willingness to join an international, remote working team, travelling to various international settings as needed
- A proven ability to work effectively in diverse cultural settings
- Demonstrated results in effective delivery and day-to-day operational excellence
- An understanding of nature-based solutions is desirable but not a must
- Shared purpose, culture and values
- Unbeatable work flexibility and balance (global team, remote working)
- A truly diverse team of colleagues, partners and clients
- An agile team, with unrivalled experience and track-record
- How would you describe your strength(s) and areas of expertise? (1-2 paragraphs)
- Why are you interested in Revalue Nature? (1-2 paragraphs)
- Current country/region of residence